Friday, October 19, 2007

TGIF

It's been a rough couple of days. Not that I like to complain (not at all, really) but it all started on Thursday morning. I was just about to head out the door and was attempting to put in some earrings when I noticed that my chest and neck were all blotchy. I was covered in hives from my neck (right below my chin) to halfway down my legs, my arms, tops of my hands, and it was starting to itch. I looked pretty nasty but I was late and hungry and needed a coffee to counteract the Benadryl I knew I'd need to get rid of the hives. So I stopped at the bagel place and hoped that people didn't give me any funny looks.

I put the call into my friend, just in case something happened to me, someone would know I had hives. Since I didn't have any trouble breathing it was probably okay.

2 Benadryls in, I had a meeting at my desk. For once, I had an in-person meeting instead of a conference call, and I looked like I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever plus I was having trouble focusing from the Benadryl. How professional.

It was apple picking day (work outing) and the rash stayed away until about 5, and then it came back but there was no way I was going to take anything else because I wanted to have a beer and I knew there would be problems if I mixed. My fish sandwich tasted fishy, and that's not good even though it was fish. I'd had a caramel apple, 1 and a half cider donuts, and a pint of apple cider. Nature's laxative was running through my system and I was a half hour from home. Could be a serious problem.

I got home around 10:30 (after stopping at Amanda's to watch the office) and noticed when I opened the door that it wasn't actually closed. Had I not pulled the door all the way closed when I rushed out with the 3 trash bags, covered in hives and running really late? Probably, because I've done it before. I went in and noticed that the living room light was switched off by the wall switch, not the remote. I didn't think I'd done that so I was sketched out. I called the parents, Dad came over and fixed my loose doorknob, and then went around checking out each room, the cellar, closets, and eaves. Each time he opened a door, he called "Boo!" It was awesome.

Nobody was here. It was all paranoia. But I still grabbed my pjs, contact stuff, and eyeglasses and headed down to the parents' for a sleepover. And here's the worst part. I dropped my glasses on the ground and drove over them with the car. They are totaled. Totaled. $351 - 6 months ago. I am such an idiot. Time for shopping that is even less fun than shopping for jeans; shopping for glasses.

Today, the rash was still around but it's getting much better. I checked in at the doctor's and they said "lay off the wine, take the Benadryl if it flares up, and let us know if the hives don't go away by Monday." I'd had wine on Wednesday night; it could've been an allergic reaction.

So, I'm not even going to bother calling the eye doctor's to see if there is a warranty. What kind of warranty would cover me driving over the darn things? I'm just going to suck it up - or maybe wait until I get the rx in the mail and then call them and ask. I need to spend less on the next pair, so I'm going to try lens crafters.

And so, thank goodness it's Friday. I am done for the week.

No comments: