Saturday, October 27, 2007

I went apple picking at Honey Pot Hill. Picking was slim - the trees were really tall, all the apples were way up high, and it was really muggy. Plus I was suffering from a full-body hive attack, an allergic reaction to something I ate. I managed to get more than enough Cortlands to make a pie. I made the crust from scratch in the food processor. I learned the hard way that it's not large enough to make a full batch from the Baking With Julia cookbook. I ended up making a half batch. I cut up more apples than I should have (Joy of Cooking recipe, Apple I) and decided to just throw them all in. I did not, however, cook the pie any longer, and so the apples were sort of firm in many places and there was way too much juice, even after it cooled for 4 hours. Next time, I'm following the recipe. The crust was awesome, and the pie was tasty, but not as good as the pie Amanda made today. She used winesap apples and followed the recipe from Joy of Cooking (Apple I).


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pie looks delicious!

Oh that sounds dirty.

Anonymous said...

Amanda is "anonymous". I should have posted that pie comment under my name.